https://695618.n3cdn1.secureserver.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/TAM-News.jpg?time=1701656855 200 850 Broadcasters https://695618.n3cdn1.secureserver.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/BRC-Logo-1-300x138.png Broadcasters2023-05-10 11:06:182023-10-02 17:03:39Channel Release Policy 2023 – Updated 22 September 2023
The Broadcast Research Council of South Africa (BRC) was established in 2015, our role being to commission and oversee the delivery of radio and television audience measurement research for broadcasters, as well as the advertising and marketing industry.
We are also responsible for the reliable collection of contributions from media owners via a levy system, as well as the management of these funds.
Our main objectives include:
To commission and coordinate
We commission and give oversight to radio and television audience measurement research, that being BRC RAM (Radio Audience Measurement) and BRC TAMS (Television Audience Measurement).
It is crucial that the data provided be objective and honest, which is why we ensure that the research, as well as the management and reporting thereof, is transparent and managed and audited through a battery of KPIs.
To make the research available
All broadcasters and media planners have access to audience measurement research (BRC RAM and BRC TAMS) via industry standard media planning software tools.
Funding the research
Through the contributions received from our media owner members we are able to fund the research in respect of both television and radio. We also contribute towards the industry-wide Establishment Survey.
Support and collaboration
One of our larger goals is to support and contribute to the funding of additional collaborative industry-wide research, namely the Establishment Survey.
Raising the standards
We promote and maintain fair and transparent standards for broadcast audience measurement.
Day to day
We keep a lean operational team to ensure the smooth running of day-to-day activities.
This team is made up of:
- BRC Accountant – Perceverance Thakhudi
- Research Executive : Television – Boitumelo Pooe
- Office Manager & PA to the CEO – Anele N Ntuli
How we operate
The Television Research Committee is made up of television broadcasters, who meet every 5 weeks to review the BRC TAMS KPIs and ensure that the data has credibility and is managed transparently.
- BRC TAMS User oversight forum: TV broadcasters, media planners and agencies are invited to review the research. This forum ensures that those who are using the research are yielding its full benefit.
The Radio Research Committee is made up of radio broadcasters. The committee meets once a month to review the BRC RAM KPIs and thereby ensure that the data has credibility and is managed transparently.
- BRC RAM user oversight forum: radio broadcasters, media planners and agencies are invited to review the research. This forum ensures that those who are using the research are yielding its full benefit.
About the research
The BRC owns the data and all IP rights attached thereto from any and all research it commissions and gives oversight to.
BRC research products include:
BRC Radio Audience Measurement (BRC RAM)
A multiplatform and intuitive survey that is respondent-friendly across all walks of South African life. This tool collects the most accurate data through a seven day diary, across different geographies, locations, languages, and socio-economic landscapes. The BRC commissions the BRC RAM through its research supplier, TNS, and the data is released quarterly. The data is released quarterly each year – February / May / August / November.
BRC Television Audience Measurement (BRC TAMS)
This high quality television audience measurement system uses peoplemeter technology, a tool used to measure the viewing habits of TV audiences. Management of this research ensures that it has proper controls, transparent reporting and regular audits in place. The BRC commissions BRC TAMS through its research supplier, Nielsen, and the data is released daily. Users are able to access this data through industry standard media planning software tools.
The BRC has entered into a collaborative partnership with the Publisher Research Council (PRC), the Advertiser Media Forum (AMF), and MASA on the new Establishment Survey (ES). The BRC and the PRC are the funders and owners of this dataset, with the BRC being the majority funder at 68% and the PRC funding the remaining 32%. The aim is for media owners, marketers, and advertisers to use the survey as a strategic inter-media planning tool, as the ES will survey media usage across all media types by all major demographics. The ES data is released twice a year – March and September.
Johan Van Rooyen
Office Number: 010 900 1280
Office Hours: 08:30 – 17:00
88 11th Street